As of May 28, 2020, the URL of the "Hoshinoko Room" web page has been changed as follows. Please see the new URL for the latest information on the Hoshinoko Room. New URL: http://www.hosp.tohoku.ac.jp/hoshinoko/room/about/hoshinoko-room.htm (Japanese only)
Hoshinoko Room(on-campus convalescent child daycare room)
Opened in April 2006, Hoshinoko Room is a daycare facility in the university hospital that serves convalescent children of university personnel and students. Nursing and day care is provided to children recuperating from illness who cannot attend nursery or school and cannot be cared for at home. This support program was originally launched in February 2001 as a service provided by volunteers from the School of Medicine’s KYOUSHITSUIINKAI.
We will resume an acceptance on March 17(Tue),under the following conditions.
*When the body temperature is 37.4℃ or less at the time of reservation(when using antipyretics, after 8 hours) and if you visit your family doctor and bring your Primary Care Physician Contact Form(かかりつけ医連絡票）on the day of use, you can use.
Open to: Convalescent children 6 months old to fourth graders who have a fever or symptoms that prevent them from attending nursery/school (a medical examination report from the family doctor is required)
Location: 5th floor, Outpatient Consultation Building A, Tohoku University Hospital Details (on-campus access only)
Hours: 7:30 a.m.–6 p.m., Monday – Friday (excl. public and year-end/New Year’s holidays)
Fees: Per-child rates, including lunch and snack
● Under 2 hours: ￥1,000
● 2 to 4 hours : ￥2,000
● Over 4 hours : ￥3,000
Staff: Two nurses and two childcare workers
- Due to the high risk of contagion, children with streptococcal infections are not accepted until 24 hours have passed since they began taking antibiotics.
- Children with respiratory syncytial virus infections are accepted depending on the examining doctor’s decision.
- If you need to cancel a reservation, please call Hoshinoko Room by 8:30 a.m. on that day. Cancellations can be made at later times if the child’s condition worsens before arriving.
- Before visiting, call the staff to discuss service availability (and to find out about parking availability, if needed).
- Be sure to have the child examined by the family doctor before visiting. Children can also be examined at the university hospital’s Pediatrics department from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (consult with the Hoshinoko Room staff beforehand).
- During the influenza season*, admission is allowed only if the influenza test performed 16 hours after the onset of fever is negative.
*The influenza season is the period when a influenza warning is issued in Sendai city.
(Reference: Infection information in Miyagi (in Japanese)、Infection information in Sendai (in Japanese)）
Reservations & inquiries
If you have any questions regarding this service, feel free to contact Hoshinoko Room.
Phone: 022-717-7819 E-mail: email@example.com
Procedures & required documentation
Guide to Hoshinoko Room PDF (in English)
User registration form PDF (in English) / Excel (in Japanese)
Care request form PDF (in English) / Excel (in Japanese)
Medical examination report PDF (in English)
Child’s health chart PDF (in English) / Excel (in Japanese)
User guide (version for Association of Leading Women Researchers in Engineering) PDF (in Japanese)
- Requests for service are not accepted in cases where there is risk of infection to other children or where medical intervention is likely to be needed. This decision is based on the medical examination report filled out by a doctor.
- If a child’s health worsens while at Hoshinoko Room, the parent/guardian will be asked to pick up the child and have him/her examined by the family doctor. One of the conditions for using this service is the ability to come to Hoshinoko Room within approx. 30 minutes of being summoned by the staff.
- In emergencies, the staff will confer with the hospital’s pediatrician, and may have the child examined if advised to do so.
- Hoshinoko Room is insured under a sick child care policy from Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance.